The 19th century
Following the secularizations of 1806, the Rothaus Brewery fell out of the hands of the Grand Duchy of Baden and was renamed the “Großherzogliche Badische Staatsbrauerei Rothaus” (Grand Ducal State Brewery Rothaus of Baden). Just twenty years after being founded, the number of production facilities was increased due to growing demands. Up until 1830 site protections had existed for the Rothaus Brewery in the county of Bonndorf.
To satisfy the steadily increasing demand for Rothaus beer, comprehensive renovation and modernization measures were implemented in the brewery from 1842 to 1846. In 1847 a fire swept through that destroyed parts of the brewery, the roof trusses and portions of the inventory. Through the courage of the workers, the fire was kept from spreading, allowing the newly constructed buildings to remain to a large extent intact and to allow for the swift return of steady production.
Following the Baden Revolution of 1848/49, Prussian soldiers who were quartered at the brewery’s cost occupied the brewery. Roughly 120 soldiers were stationed at Rothaus. Through the forming of the Second Reich and the implementation of a common currency in 1871, Rothaus Brewery was able to expand to new markets.
In 1875, Rothaus Brewery invested in new technologies: a specialized railroad car, a new, stronger steam engine, a new drying kiln for malt production, a new cold storage room, a new yeast cleaning and sorting machine, as well as other technological devices. Just a few years later, Rothaus Brewery ushered in its first bottles of beer into the market. The first bottle of Rothaus beer was sold in St. Blasien on Christmas of 1892. Five years later Rothaus bought a “motorized transportation vehicle”—the first Rothaus delivery truck.